Cell service

Discussion on anything

Cell service

Postby Mack » Fri May 05, 2017 6:36 am

What kind of phones and carriers are you folks using? For years I've had an old tracfone flip phone and get great reception at the house. I wanted an android so I bought inexpensive Samsung galaxy. I get zero bars. I drove up by the cell tower on Joe Bald and was able to get 2. Lousy phone? Lousy service or both?
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Re: Cell service

Postby FAADAN » Fri May 05, 2017 11:20 am

Mack wrote:What kind of phones and carriers are you folks using? For years I've had an old tracfone flip phone and get great reception at the house. I wanted an android so I bought inexpensive Samsung galaxy. I get zero bars. I drove up by the cell tower on Joe Bald and was able to get 2. Lousy phone? Lousy service or both?

I've got an iPhone and Verizon. Do you have the same carrier you had? If so, there may be a problem with your new phone.
Gridlock is Good
FAADAN
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby Mack » Fri May 05, 2017 12:57 pm

After a lengthy online chat, my old flip phone is GSM and new one CDMA. Tracfone is sending me a new sim card to switch me over to the gsm tower. Last night I took my new phone and drove up to the tower at the top of Joe Bald and got 2-3 bars last night, so I knew it wasn't just me.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby skeeter » Sun May 07, 2017 7:38 am

Because I'm a long-time DIRECTV customer, in Nov. 2015 I got a emailed ad promising over $650 in bill credits if I switched Carriers from any other over to AT&T who had just bought DIRECTV. I was out of town when the ad came in but we were looking to replace phones and upgrade mine to a "smart" phone so I went to the local AT&T Corporate store and discovered the biggest nest of Liars ever at their Kirkwood, MO store....they will tell you anything they think you want to hear in order to get a sale.

Too late, I discovered the incompatibility between our then current Verizon (CDMA) "smart" phone that my Wife had and that the AT&T store liars said we could painlessly switch over to AT&T (GSM). Yes, the switchover was made but at least half of the former functionalities of the transferred "smart" phone were lost. One example was the loss of being able to forward or receive a picture on a text message. Wound up having to buy, at a ridiculous price, a newer "smart" phone for her from AT&T programmed to work on their GSM system.

Around here, good reception and dead spots seem about equal on both Verizon and AT&T with all our hills and hollows. The one exception in my neck of the woods is Wireless Internet service from a Cell Carrier. Verizon's tower is down in the Carr Lane area and is too distant for Internet service while AT&T's is line-of-sight in Viola off Hwy. 39 to the South of Shell Knob. Disgusted with Centurylink's slow Internet speeds I tried switching over to AT&T wireless ISP and almost doubled my speed from 8 Mbps (on a non-rainy, non-windy day) to a reliable 15 Mbps. Only problem, and it was a big one, was the data limits. AT&T has a "tool" on their website to help you (supposedly) figure out how much data to buy based on your usage. I filled out the form and was very liberal in stating what I used Internet for and then bought the next 2X higher "package" just in case. Within 7 days I was fast approaching the upper limit of the data package and they really hose you once you go over that limit so the whole mess went back to AT&T where I was charged a 35% "restocking fee" despite being told the service was a 30 day "free" trial.

The largest number of Consumer Complaints to any of the BBB offices come from Cell Phone transactions and the sneaky, lying, underhanded tactics the dog-eat-dog Carriers use to get sales. Sorry for the length of this but I could go on at further length about a months-long battle with AT&T over those promised bill credits.
skeeter
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby Mack » Sun May 07, 2017 1:54 pm

I was thrilled to get 1.5m dsl. Suddenlink says we're not eligible for service. All of neighbors have had it, but they can't get a line to our house. I think most of the wireless internet services are choked.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby chhawkins » Sun May 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Mack wrote:After a lengthy online chat, my old flip phone is GSM and new one CDMA. Tracfone is sending me a new sim card to switch me over to the gsm tower. Last night I took my new phone and drove up to the tower at the top of Joe Bald and got 2-3 bars last night, so I knew it wasn't just me.

This reminds me of my very early transistor radio that had an antenna and I had to be the the right location to get reception.....early 60's in Arkansas.

We live in Little Aunts Creek cove and get fine cellular reception with AT&T and our two Apple smart phones, 5S and 6S, two Apple laptop computers.

However, our caveat is Suddnelink we have 3 meg service cause we are at or near the end of the line. Unfortunately, I don't think much faster than that speed, either.
chhawkins
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby FAADAN » Sun May 07, 2017 6:55 pm

I live way down Joe Bald across from Mill Creek Park and have Verizon. I have two bars on my phone right now but have no trouble calling anyone anytime. I also get Verizon LTE here anytime. I have one spot going up Joe Bald that I occasionally lose a call but have had absolutely no problem anywhere else.
Gridlock is Good
FAADAN
Local Gold
Local Gold

Return to The Soap Box