Electrician

Discussion on anything

Electrician

Postby Mack » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:12 am

Any know of a good, reliable electrician in the area? My neighbors are looking for someone.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Re: Electrician

Postby PapaJohn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:08 pm

I've used Lightspeed out of Branson for 5 years or so. I've had 4 different projects and they have been great.
PapaJohn
Local Yocal
Local Yocal

Postby Mack » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:53 pm

PapaJohn wrote:I've used Lightspeed out of Branson for 5 years or so. I've had 4 different projects and they have been great.

Thanks PJ, I passed it along and kept it for myself. Ironically, this guy's best friend is a retired electrician out of St. Louis but won't help him out. Said it's a union thing.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby FAADAN » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:16 am

Mack wrote:
PapaJohn wrote:I've used Lightspeed out of Branson for 5 years or so. I've had 4 different projects and they have been great.

Thanks PJ, I passed it along and kept it for myself. Ironically, this guy's best friend is a retired electrician out of St. Louis but won't help him out. Said it's a union thing.

That's just an excuse, there is no electrician's union around here. There is not even any professional licensing of electricians in Missouri.
Gridlock is Good
FAADAN
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby skeeter » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:28 am

FAADAN wrote:
Mack wrote:

That's just an excuse, there is no electrician's union around here. There is not even any professional licensing of electricians in Missouri.

Maybe no licensing at the State level but in the St. Louis area, in St. Louis County in particular, you have to be licensed by the County in order to get an Inspector to sign off on your work on new construction or anything requiring a permit. The test for the license is pretty tough to pass.

The ex-Union guy claiming it's a "Union thing" just doesn't want to do the work....in this area, that's one of the most lame excuses I've ever heard.

At my former employer, the Electricians were the first to crack the $10.00/hour barrier in the very early 1970's requiring, laughably, massive Main-Frame computer changes to handle the payroll (we were still on punch-cards back then).

The St. Louis area Builders and Contractors, because of the strict licensing requirements resulting in high hourly rates for members of the IBEW, started a "fake" Electrician's Union non-affiliated with AFL-CIO or the Teamsters and even opened their own School for non-Union Electricians so they could pass the licensing test(s). Our oldest Son was one of them and learned the "trade" from a former Union (licensed) Electrician that started his own "scab" shop where his "apprentices" would do the actual work and then he'd come in at the end and check everything out and sign off on it ( if done correctly ) before the Government Inspector was called out.

We've seen a lot of the gosh-awful, horrible excuses for so-called "Electrical" work in this area and shuddered in amazement that there aren't even more Electrical fires.
skeeter
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby FAADAN » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:07 pm

skeeter wrote:
FAADAN wrote:
Mack wrote:

Maybe no licensing at the State level but in the St. Louis area, in St. Louis County in particular, you have to be licensed by the County in order to get an Inspector to sign off on your work on new construction or anything requiring a permit. The test for the license is pretty tough to pass.

The ex-Union guy claiming it's a "Union thing" just doesn't want to do the work....in this area, that's one of the most lame excuses I've ever heard.

At my former employer, the Electricians were the first to crack the $10.00/hour barrier in the very early 1970's requiring, laughably, massive Main-Frame computer changes to handle the payroll (we were still on punch-cards back then).

The St. Louis area Builders and Contractors, because of the strict licensing requirements resulting in high hourly rates for members of the IBEW, started a "fake" Electrician's Union non-affiliated with AFL-CIO or the Teamsters and even opened their own School for non-Union Electricians so they could pass the licensing test(s). Our oldest Son was one of them and learned the "trade" from a former Union (licensed) Electrician that started his own "scab" shop where his "apprentices" would do the actual work and then he'd come in at the end and check everything out and sign off on it ( if done correctly ) before the Government Inspector was called out.

We've seen a lot of the gosh-awful, horrible excuses for so-called "Electrical" work in this area and shuddered in amazement that there aren't even more Electrical fires.

I've lived all over this country in places that had rigorous codes and licensing and places that had none. I saw very little or any difference in the work or level of safety. Those who do good work will do so whether it is inspected or not. Those who don't will just buy an inspection.
Gridlock is Good
FAADAN
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby Ranger » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Mr.World Book has spoken. Listen and take heed. "Buy an inspection"???? Just consider the source of that post; makes no sense.
Ranger

Postby Mack » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:54 am

Ranger wrote:Mr.World Book has spoken. Listen and take heed. "Buy an inspection"???? Just consider the source of that post; makes no sense.

Don't know about down here, but I know several guys that did side work that required a sign off by a licensed contractor before a inspector would pass the work. They paid the contractor to come in and sign the request for approval. One of our houses was wired under that arrangement. It didn't have anything to do with unions, just a commercial permit number.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby FAADAN » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:39 am

Ranger wrote:Mr.World Book has spoken. Listen and take heed. "Buy an inspection"???? Just consider the source of that post; makes no sense.

You are obviously quite naive when it comes to building inspectors. A hundred bucks in many parts of the country will get you a green tag with no hassle of an inspection. Do a little research.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/10/50 ... o-nix.html
Gridlock is Good
FAADAN
Local Gold
Local Gold

Return to The Soap Box