Dock power

Discussion on anything

Re: Dock power

Postby skeeter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:48 am

[quote="MackDo you suppose the commercial docks are going to have to convert? I'll be asking that question next week at the high school.[/quote]

From what I understand, these regulations from our unelected Bureaucrats at the USACE are directed at private dock owners who are a much softer target than Marina owners, some of whom are still stonewalling and squabbling over the requirement to replace white foam floats with encapsulated foam floats.

Power use by the typical Marina with Ice storage Freezers, Air-Conditioned Office(s), Gas pumps, Refrigerated Coolers, Bait tank water and air pumps and other things I'm not thinking of would seem far beyond the ability and capacity of Solar Power. Cannot imagine how many large lead/acid storage batteries and number of square feet of Solar Panels those electrically powered items would require.
skeeter
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby Mack » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:36 am

skeeter wrote:[quote="MackDo you suppose the commercial docks are going to have to convert? I'll be asking that question next week at the high school.

From what I understand, these regulations from our unelected Bureaucrats at the USACE are directed at private dock owners who are a much softer target than Marina owners, some of whom are still stonewalling and squabbling over the requirement to replace white foam floats with encapsulated foam floats.

Power use by the typical Marina with Ice storage Freezers, Air-Conditioned Office(s), Gas pumps, Refrigerated Coolers, Bait tank water and air pumps and other things I'm not thinking of would seem far beyond the ability and capacity of Solar Power. Cannot imagine how many large lead/acid storage batteries and number of square feet of Solar Panels those electrically powered items would require.[/quote]

And if 'going green' is one of the reasons, just one marina with a restaurant will leave a larger 'carbon foot print' than 50% of community docks combined. I know I'm going to lose, but Billy and Roy are getting a reminder from me a couple of times a week. The whole thing is a crock of crap.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby skeeter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:22 pm

[quote="Mack The whole thing is a crock of crap.[/quote]

Totally agree, right along with their incredible hypocrisy of saying they are so terribly concerned with the health of the shoreline and do and say nothing about the ridiculous erosion, property damage and safety issues the outlandish, oversized Cruisers and plowing Wake Boats cause.

I'm planning on attending the "workshop" ( what an asinine term ) in Reeds Spring Wed. and giving them an earful.
skeeter
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby Mack » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:33 pm

skeeter wrote:[quote="Mack The whole thing is a crock of crap.

Totally agree, right along with their incredible hypocrisy of saying they are so terribly concerned with the health of the shoreline and do and say nothing about the ridiculous erosion, property damage and safety issues the outlandish, oversized Cruisers and plowing Wake Boats cause.

I'm planning on attending the "workshop" ( what an asinine term ) in Reeds Spring Wed. and giving them an earful.[/quote]

As will I. Back to the commercial docks, there's no excuse for the rental slips not to be solar powered. And we get 2-3 ft. rollers crashing the shore line on the weekends. All from the wake board and go fast boats.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby FAADAN » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:26 pm

Exactly what does "protecting the shoreline" have to do with the generation of power or flood control, the primary purposes of the lake as stated by Congress when they authorized it to be built. The most damage to the shoreline is done when the lake is flooded. Flooding, and delaying the release of water kills all the vegetation up to where it was flooded. If they want to save the shoreline, all they have to do is stop letting the lake flood. Of course, that would violate the primary reason for building the lake in the first place. This is all just an effort to attack people who own land around the lake and want to use that land to their advantage. Simply a bureaucracy gone rogue.
Gridlock is Good
FAADAN
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby skeeter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:42 am

FAADAN wrote:Exactly what does "protecting the shoreline" have to do with the generation of power or flood control, the primary purposes of the lake as stated by Congress when they authorized it to be built. The most damage to the shoreline is done when the lake is flooded. Flooding, and delaying the release of water kills all the vegetation up to where it was flooded. If they want to save the shoreline, all they have to do is stop letting the lake flood. Of course, that would violate the primary reason for building the lake in the first place. This is all just an effort to attack people who own land around the lake and want to use that land to their advantage. Simply a bureaucracy gone rogue.

Wish that repeated and long-lasting flooding and high water levels would kill these invasive Eastern Red Cedars that have taken over and ruined so much land.....but it hasn't. We need a "bug" like the rapidly spreading Emerald Ash Borer that would target the Cedar trees.
skeeter
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby Mack » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:45 pm

skeeter wrote:
FAADAN wrote:Exactly what does "protecting the shoreline" have to do with the generation of power or flood control, the primary purposes of the lake as stated by Congress when they authorized it to be built. The most damage to the shoreline is done when the lake is flooded. Flooding, and delaying the release of water kills all the vegetation up to where it was flooded. If they want to save the shoreline, all they have to do is stop letting the lake flood. Of course, that would violate the primary reason for building the lake in the first place. This is all just an effort to attack people who own land around the lake and want to use that land to their advantage. Simply a bureaucracy gone rogue.

Wish that repeated and long-lasting flooding and high water levels would kill these invasive Eastern Red Cedars that have taken over and ruined so much land.....but it hasn't. We need a "bug" like the rapidly spreading Emerald Ash Borer that would target the Cedar trees.

You can now cut down cedars that are 3" at the base vs the old rule of 2" at 4'. The net difference is zero. We pay these people's salary.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby ponyrider127 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:07 am

I had to install solar per the big boys that run the lake. I have seen real high prices quoted per slip. I paid for all four slips on our dock because it was cheaper to do the whole dock than just for me. The other owners have paid me when they put in lifts. My cost was 750.00 per slip. That was for everything. It will not charge trolling batteries but could upgrade to that if need be.
ponyrider127

Postby Mack » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:00 pm

ponyrider127 wrote:I had to install solar per the big boys that run the lake. I have seen real high prices quoted per slip. I paid for all four slips on our dock because it was cheaper to do the whole dock than just for me. The other owners have paid me when they put in lifts. My cost was 750.00 per slip. That was for everything. It will not charge trolling batteries but could upgrade to that if need be.

Did you happen to get a quote on the upgrade?
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby FAADAN » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:07 pm

ponyrider127 wrote:I had to install solar per the big boys that run the lake. I have seen real high prices quoted per slip. I paid for all four slips on our dock because it was cheaper to do the whole dock than just for me. The other owners have paid me when they put in lifts. My cost was 750.00 per slip. That was for everything. It will not charge trolling batteries but could upgrade to that if need be.

If I can't charge my trolling motor batteries, a slip is useless to me.
Gridlock is Good
FAADAN
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby ponyrider127 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:28 pm

No I did not get a quote for charging all the owners have pontoons. I will tell you that I did not go with that outrages solar company from Springfield. The lift company said that my was the first one that they could run power tools on. We installed new boards on a 54x14 swim deck and used a power saw for cutting all the boards and never had a problem.
ponyrider127

Postby Mack » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:48 pm

ponyrider127 wrote:No I did not get a quote for charging all the owners have pontoons. I will tell you that I did not go with that outrages solar company from Springfield. The lift company said that my was the first one that they could run power tools on. We installed new boards on a 54x14 swim deck and used a power saw for cutting all the boards and never had a problem.

6 volt or 12 volt batteries?
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby skeeter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:46 am

Attended a BLT meeting Thurs. night and the owner-installer for Independent Solar from Ridgedale, MO was an invited guest to discuss the Solar thing for docks and homes. He seemed like a very honest individual which is somewhat of a rare thing with all this Solar stuff going one. His quotes, according to those in the audience, were very reasonable for the amount of Kilowatts projected to be needed.

He did state the charging of trolling motor batteries presented a problem for any Solar System and recommended a small generator be used instead....However, several spoke up and said the Corps has a regulation against leaving a generator on a dock !!! :roll: Kind of a Catch-22 huh ? But hey, it's the Government after all :twisted:
skeeter
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby Mack » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:49 am

Two guys on our dock have bass boats. One has 36v trolling motor, the other 48. I've been on their butts to send letters to the corps and our illustrious congress folks, but they don't.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby ponyrider127 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:44 am

I went with 6 volt.
ponyrider127

PreviousNext

Return to The Soap Box