Dock spiders

Discussion on anything

Dock spiders

Postby Mack » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:24 am

Our dock is overran with spiders right now. I've seen a pontoon on the lake with some spider control advertisement on it, but didn't get the name or number. Looked like an AR phone number. Anyone familiar with these guys? We tried doing it ourselves and it was a waster of time.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Re: Dock spiders

Postby skeeter » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:39 am

You say you tried doing it yourself. May I ask what product you used ?
skeeter
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby Mack » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Home Defense. And I just stopped at Walmart and bought another big container of it. I guess it takes me a while to learn a lesson.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby FAADAN » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:10 pm

Mack wrote:Home Defense. And I just stopped at Walmart and bought another big container of it. I guess it takes me a while to learn a lesson.

Don't get caught using that over the water.
Gridlock is Good
FAADAN
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby FAADAN » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:13 pm

AquaPestSolutions

417-598-2622
Gridlock is Good
FAADAN
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby skeeter » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Mack wrote:Home Defense. And I just stopped at Walmart and bought another big container of it. I guess it takes me a while to learn a lesson.

Had good success with that.

Nooks and crannies important to hit and soak on dock superstructure and even on the watercraft.

If the dock is lit at night I'd suggest switching to yellow bug light(s) if you haven't already to remove/reduce the attraction for the bugs that the spiders prey on. Home Depot sells LED Yellow bug lights to keep electric bill down. Got fed up with dealing with Spider-poop all over everything.

Local Pest Control Company guy that the local Marina hired told me in late May that the previous product they were using was taken away from them and they were reduced to spraying some kind of natural oils which lasts maybe three-four days. Probably Peppermint oil and it's next to worthless. Spiders are tough cookies and need strong insecticide to deal with them.
skeeter
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby Mack » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:06 pm

skeeter wrote:

Had good success with that.

Nooks and crannies important to hit and soak on dock superstructure and even on the watercraft.

If the dock is lit at night I'd suggest switching to yellow bug light(s) if you haven't already to remove/reduce the attraction for the bugs that the spiders prey on. Home Depot sells LED Yellow bug lights to keep electric bill down. Got fed up with dealing with Spider-poop all over everything.

Local Pest Control Company guy that the local Marina hired told me in late May that the previous product they were using was taken away from them and they were reduced to spraying some kind of natural oils which lasts maybe three-four days. Probably Peppermint oil and it's next to worthless. Spiders are tough cookies and need strong insecticide to deal with them.

I'm going have to really spray under the walkway where the floats are. That may help. I have some peppermint oil if you're interested. Smelled nice, didn't work.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby skeeter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:24 am

Mack wrote:
skeeter wrote:
Mack wrote:Home Defense.
I have some peppermint oil if you're interested. Smelled nice, didn't work.

Ha ha, no thank you.

The only non-insecticide we've had surprisingly good luck with is a 50/50 mix of Pine-Sol and water in a spray bottle to repel the pesky flies we get at this time of year.

Read about it on-line somewhere and we gave it a try and it actually works. Spray it on surfaces around the area we don't want them (like the entry door to the house from the garage) and it seems to greatly reduce their hanging around.
skeeter
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby PapaJohn » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:10 pm

Mack, that Aunts Creek pontoon guy is the same one we use on Little Aunts Creek. FAADAN is right....Aqua Pest Solutions....used them last 3 years and NO more spiders. Got their name from POK as they do their docks. 4 applications/treatments per year, roughly April till October is about $1,000.....16 slips.
PapaJohn
Local Yocal
Local Yocal

Postby Mack » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:26 pm

PapaJohn wrote:Mack, that Aunts Creek pontoon guy is the same one we use on Little Aunts Creek. FAADAN is right....Aqua Pest Solutions....used them last 3 years and NO more spiders. Got their name from POK as they do their docks. 4 applications/treatments per year, roughly April till October is about $1,000.....16 slips.

I just came back from moving our dock. One of the neighbors was there. I complained about the spiders and he pulled a tag for aqua pest out of his locker. Said someone attached it to an inside rail this spring. And, since they didn't ask permission to be on the dock, he doesn't want them to spray. The good news is, he'll be out voted. He's a good guy, but I think he goes down there and pee's around his boat trying keep everyone off 'his property' I explained that all he really owns is a hole in the water but he's not buying it.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby Mack » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:39 pm

FAADAN wrote:AquaPestSolutions

417-598-2622

They're on their way. Seems like a very professional company to deal with. I got 100% buy in which shocked me. They'd like to have all the covers off the boats so they can treat them and the inside of the boats.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Return to The Soap Box