Hey Skeeter!

Discussion on anything

Re: Hey Skeeter!

Postby Mack » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:32 pm

skeeter wrote:Reports claim record high boat sales so I doubt the Boat dealers would be in favor of limiting use of their destructive, wake-producing, high-dollar/priced wake boats.

Both Rep. Don Phillips Don.Phillips@house.mo and Sen. David Sater David Sater David.Sater@senate.mo.gov sit on Tourism committees ( as they should ) and need to be made aware of this dangerous, shoreline-eroding wake issue.

While the big dollar people that own these wake-producing vessels do drop a lot of money here during the June, July and 1/2 of August time period it's the Angler who comes here all year that is being run off the Lake during those 2 & 1/2 Months that is paying the price and being denied access.

Our friends have a dock just south of the Aunts Creek park and had an outside winch torn off last week. That's on top of $3500 in damage to their swim platform last year. And now it's broken lose and will have to fixed again.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby FAADAN » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:15 pm

While I agree these wake producing boats are a pain for us fishermen and do damage to docks, they are not the cause of any shoreline erosion. The one and only cause of shoreline erosion is flooding and that is the main reason the lake was built. When the lake is at normal pool levels, any kind of erosion is negligible.
Gridlock is Good
FAADAN
Local Gold
Local Gold

Postby PapaJohn » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:23 am

Just about everybody who has any kind of dock seems to have a wake damage story to tell. 3 years ago I had a big boat do a close in power then in front of mine and the wave broke loose my PWC tank lift and it sank to the bottom. I had a neighbor with scuba gear go down, find it and shoot some regulator air into it to get a portion up to the surface where I could rope it and drag it to shore. Got it reattached with many more bolts, and little cost to me.
My lesson here is to not leave my lift in the down position when I'm out on the PWC. Having that tank submerged caused the lift to absorb much more wake force. Really little can be done about this as dumbass boat drivers are always going to exist.
I really don't see much shoreline erosion from big wakes due to the rocky shoreline we have. The few erosion examples I see are the red dirt/mud banks that exist on one side or the other of the islands that exits on the lake. Probably most of that erosion is from big rain and flood/high water events.
PapaJohn
Local Yocal
Local Yocal

Postby Mack » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:23 am

skeeter wrote:Reports claim record high boat sales so I doubt the Boat dealers would be in favor of limiting use of their destructive, wake-producing, high-dollar/priced wake boats.

Both Rep. Don Phillips Don.Phillips@house.mo and Sen. David Sater David Sater David.Sater@senate.mo.gov sit on Tourism committees ( as they should ) and need to be made aware of this dangerous, shoreline-eroding wake issue.

While the big dollar people that own these wake-producing vessels do drop a lot of money here during the June, July and 1/2 of August time period it's the Angler who comes here all year that is being run off the Lake during those 2 & 1/2 Months that is paying the price and being denied access.

Our friends of the lake are at it again. I directed my comments to them and not the corps. http://savetablerock.com/
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Postby Mack » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 am

FAADAN wrote:While I agree these wake producing boats are a pain for us fishermen and do damage to docks, they are not the cause of any shoreline erosion. The one and only cause of shoreline erosion is flooding and that is the main reason the lake was built. When the lake is at normal pool levels, any kind of erosion is negligible.

The folks that own a resort just north of us now have a cut back over a foot deep where a gravel bank used to be. He went to all of the recent meetings.
Mack
Local Silver
Local Silver

Previous

Return to The Soap Box